Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Sunday, September 6, 2015

September 6, 2015

The Old College Tri was my first triathlon experience and it was amazing! We all woke up by 5am to head to Denton to set up my transition area for a 7am race start. I was racer #178, which meant that I was the 178th person to jump in the pool. I was swam over twice in the first 10 seconds, but after that I got in my groove and finished the swim in 5:19. I took off for the transition area, threw on my bike gear and was off! The 12 mile course was 6 miles out and 6 miles back. During training I was riding in the 3:45-4:15 range, but my first two miles were 2:45-3:00!! That's the first time that I thought I might actually be a contender in this thing! I pushed as hard as I could and finished the bike with an average of 16.9 mph - WAY faster than my normal training rides that were around 14.5 mph! The run went fine - about an 8:35 pace - and I just kept telling myself that 'if you walk, you'll always wonder.' You never know how the finish times will turn out, and there's nothing worse than coming in 2nd, 4th, 10th, etc by a matter of seconds that you can chalk up to wussing out and walking. So I pushed through and finished strong!

I had no idea HOW STRONG until I heard the results... FIRST PLACE in my age group!! What?! 1:16:44! I was hoping for a 1:25, so 9 minutes faster than that was amazing! I finished 20/127 for females. I was shocked and so excited... and I might be hooked ; )

0 comments: