Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Sunday, April 17, 2016

April 17, 2016

The Caveman Tri was the most insanely wild weather race I have ever experienced! It was supposed to start at 7am, but was delayed until 7:45 because of lightning. They were trying to determine if they would cancel the whole thing, cancel the bike portion or let it all go as planned. In the end, they let it go as planned and told people that they could decide on their own to do the bike portion or not. 

I thought I would make a last minute decision about the bike. I jumped in the water around 8:15am and by the time I finished 5:36 minutes later, I was on auto-pilot and ran straight to my bike. It was pouring!! I took the bike slow, and just kept thinking my weather motto ('there's no such thing as bad weather, only soft people"). I was slower than my last tri on the bike (obviously) coming in around 14.9 mph, but I crushed the run compared to last time!! My tri in September clocked me at 8:45/mile and this time I was at a 7:56!! 

In the end, I couldn't really compare this race to the last one because of the weather. I did cut a little time off my swim and a ton of time off my run, but my bike was much slower. I couldn't actually believe how fast the winners were still able to bike in the rain (20+ mph!!) By the time I sign up for my next tri, I would love to be confident on a road bike instead of racing on a mountain bike. Definitely a once in a lifetime experience!!

Final results: 1:18:27
275 Swim, 10.8 Bike, 3.1 Run
Age group: 9/21
Women: 54/177



The best part of waking the kids up at 5am for a race is when they fall asleep on you mid-afternoon : )

0 comments: